Monday, January 31, 2011

Vigil for a Friend

O God,
Who had merely to
                           speak
to bring entire worlds to life,
                           speak
                     words of life
           to my friend
tonight.

He may be now beyond
                                                    ourgrasp
But he is not yet beyond
                                    Your                                  reach.

The thief on the cross next to your Son
had only to
                           whisper
                                        "remember me"
to bring him into Your presence

Please keep vigil
               at the bedside of my friend
tonight.

And if he is able in this ebbing day
only to
                           whisper
                                        "remember me"

If he is able in this sudden darkness
only to
                           reach
                                        but one finger
                                                              toward                 You
Oh God,
Please won't You grasp it
          and, leading him through
                  the valley of the shadow,

            won't You speak
the life-giving words again:

"This day you shall be
      with Me
          in
      Paradise."



O God,
Who is near to the
                          broken
        hearted,

Do not leave
                   my broken friend
                                              alone
tonight.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine that your friend feels alone tonight -- He'll remember you and know that you are praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will never leave you or forsake you."

    Never.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...