Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thanksgiving Day 16: Air casts and cars

What a big difference a small kindness can make! Dad told me that while he is in India, I could borrow his car. And shortly before he left, one of Deb's friends lent me an air cast for my foot, which has been causing me a lot of pain lately.

What's the connection? With my foot esconsed in the air cast, I can't press the clutch of my little standard far enough in even to start the car! And Dad's car is an automatic ...

The verse "All things work together for good to those who love God ..." resonates with me this week. Even the working together with the timing of the air cast and the use of the car.

Even when it doesn't seem like things are working together for good at the time. I like to think that I have my little story mapped out, at least a chapter in advance. But who could have predicted the events of even the past couple of weeks, for example? These are the times that I have to hold on to the words all things work together for GOOD.

I would note something that I never stopped to ponder before and that is that the "all things" are actively working; they are not just sitting passively by and hoping that it all comes together somehow. And that teaches me to keep persevering, keep doing what I need to each day.

But it also teaches me that I am not an island, having to hold it all together by myself. Even though I might not be able to see and comprehend the other "things" that are working with me in some mysterious way, they are there, also working, and it will all ultimately come out for good.

So today I am grateful for the hope -- for the promise -- of good coming out of every situation. Even if the good isn't what I would predict ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...