Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thanksgiving Day 10: "Someone to Watch Over Me"




Quite a long time ago in a country far away there lived a little girl who was happy almost all the time; but she longed for a friend to play with, someone whom she could look after like everyone always looked after her.

Then one day her Mummy came home with a beautiful little baby, a baby with velvety hair and creamy skin and eyes the colour of cloves.

"My Baby!" the little girl cried. And how she loved her baby sister! She would have done anything for her. She watched over her and talked to her and sang to her; she was overcome with love for her, so much so that she gave her her greatest treasure, her own cherished bolster cushion, nearly suffocating her in the process ...

They were inseparable: when the elder started school at age 3, the younger missed her so much that she started school at age 2 1/2! And as they grew, they played together and sang together and studied and travelled together. They would choose each other as partners for board games -- they could read each other's silent signals and they would win. They were in each other's weddings.

Fast forward, and now the tables are turned. Last night I stayed at Bronwyn's home. I was exhausted physically, mentally and emotionally. I arrived late, but she was still waiting up for me. Not long afterward, I went to bed and slept better than I had all week.

This morning, as I made up the bed, I saw why: the top blanket had a picture of cardinals, Mum's favourite bird, and I felt like Bronwyn had put them there to let me know I had been cared for all night.

And when I went upstairs, there she was, waiting for me with a cup of tea.

How thankful I am for Bronwyn! Through all my comings and goings, she watches over me. She provides me an anchor for my soul.




1 comment:

  1. Darling Karyn,
    The title certainly goes both ways. I am forever in your debt; you are forever in my heart. I love you.
    Your sister, looking up to you now as ever, Bronwyn
    P.S. The message of the cardinals is confirmed!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...