Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Man of Action


Seriously - was it really 
          21 years ago that I skidded my way
 o  n 
                             bla k
   c                            c
i      e 

up 
Highway 

to
try to make it for your birth day? 
You were ready to get going 
from the moment you opened 
your espresso eyes 
into this world.


You were and 
always 
have been 
ahead of the curve
        ahead of the pack
               ahead of the game
                       ahead of your time

You gave us
"Keep Calgary clean" when you were 2
"Judgative" when you were 3
"Because" at 4
"Why?" at 6
"Stay in the car" at 9

And at 11
You looked at my love seat
with awe in your eyes
and said,
"I bet you could get
 a lot of action on that couch ..."

And so the Legend of the Action Couch
 was born.


All you've asked for
  in my will
is the AC


They say that life begins
at 17 -
yours could have ended.
At 17 you gave me a
wake-up call:
What a chasm your leaving
would carve in my heart!

That was the day
I besought God,
"Keep him safe;
Keep him always ..." 

At 20 you walked slowly with
 your grandfather across
    that snow-flecked street
after McDermott,
  your turn to play
guardian angel,
your arm resting
across his shoulders

And I told myself
If he makes 21
He gets the
Action Couch.

Happy 21.

I adore you.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful! Tears in my eyes. Love you both! Happy 21st, Matthew! Enjoy life to the full, as we enjoy and are so enriched by you! Karyn, that couch as red as a valentine speaks worlds of love! You are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be a tradition that when you turn 21, you are given lots of advice. Here is some life advice from Marilyn Monroe:

    “Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself,
    because if you don’t, then who will, sweetie?
    So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly,
    keep smiling,
    because life’s a beautiful thing
    and there’s so much to smile about.”

    Happy Birthday Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really nice Karyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karyn, I believe our "Father" will continue to spread His love through you as you touch many lives!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...