Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Perfect Tea Cup

He came to the TH for the first time a few years ago. He was a little homesick, a little sad around his eyes.


I asked him where he was from.


"Halifax," he replied.


"I have the tea cup for you, my friend!" I exclaimed, and went to my place where I store tea cups for special moments.


When I served him with this cup, he brightened up immediately and from then on, when he had occasion to come to the TH I would serve him tea from "the cup."


He came back to visit last weekend after a few years, with a wife in tow! She's from near Mahone Bay. "Could I ask you a huge favour?" he said. "It would mean so much to me if you still had that tea cup and I could use it today ..."


I found the cup and brought it out to him. He thanked me and looked closely at the painting. "When I was here before I used to look at this cup and try to pinpoint where the place on the cup is. It made it seem closer."


He signed the guest book; and after he left, I read what he had written: 




Thank you for giving me this beautiful cup and saucer, my dear Kathryn who lives in Edmonton but remains a Nova Scotia girl through and through! 

2 comments:

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...