Saturday, January 21, 2012

Year of the Nephew: Craig ...

Happy champagne birthday, Craig! It seems like such a very short time ago that we were visiting your newborn self. What a loving baby you were ... On the quilt your Grandma Ironside made for me is a picture of me holding you - you were so little, so sweet. I look at the pictures on my quilt each day and am grateful for the reminder of what it is to be part of a family who loves each other.


I loved how, almost from the start, you have liked things to be in order and each item in its own place. I remember your cars and trucks lined up meticulously in your room and admired you from afar as you have continued to strive for order even in times of chaos.


You have always cared very deeply for those you love. A favourite story to do with my nephews is the one where you and Luke, both little guys still, were playing outside and your Mom looked through the window to see you writhing on the ground in apparent pain while Luke stood nearby. When she went running out to see what had happened she saw you weeping for your brother, who had gashed himself on the fence and was standing there with blood dripping: "Why is he never spared?" you sobbed.


One of your most endearing characteristics is that you want to spare both animals and people pain.


My heart was warmed beyond words when I heard you were going on a missions trip to India to work with Dalit kids in the Delhi area. When you returned, the stories you related about some of your experiences showed me how your heart was expanding and your horizons were broadening and that your love for God and your fellow human beings had grown exponentially.


I'm certainly glad your heart has expanded to make room for the beautiful Kelsey. Our first niece at long last! and someone your aunts have been longing for and praying for for years ...


What a truly beautiful couple the two of you make. You each bring out such goodness in the other. Your goals and priorities are aligned. Your hearts are both tender and you are going to have an amazing life together.


Happy birthday, dear second nephew. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next 21 years unfold for you!







2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Craig. What a great tribute your aunt has posted. It brings back many wonderful memories to me of fun times in the past. Congrats on your birthday and on your engagement and upcoming wedding. I am proud to know you and to call you friend.

    With love,

    Rosalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to the kind of guy who puts other things aside to load up his truck and take family to the airport! Love you, Craig. Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...