Monday, December 12, 2011

Fragments of Peace

As this week closes out, I have been conscious of how very much we all yearn for peace. 


This week, starting on Tuesday, I conducted a small informal poll of my own. I wrote down the three words LOVE, JOY, PEACE. And then I made a little mark next to the appropriate word when I head it or saw it.


The cushion on one of the chairs
at The Hug
PEACE outstripped JOY almost three to one; it outstripped LOVE two to one (and that would have been higher if so many people in the TH this weekend hadn't told me that they love me and they love the TH - for which I am so thankful and personally blessed). 


In various degrees, we all suffer turmoil and disruption to our lives. And when these difficult situations come, don't we long for peace, for relief? 


We look past ourselves to our neighbourhood. And then we scan our beautiful country. Finally, we lift our eyes to the world. Everywhere restlessness swirls its way through even the tiniest pockets of humanity, playing no favourites between rulers and subjects alike.


His name shall be called ... The Prince of Peace


A little note handed to me this evening
- along with decadent almond bark! -
by my dear Dea
And perhaps that is the secret to finding peace - being able to reach the ear of the Prince of Peace.


In one of my daily reading books, Daily Strength for Daily Needs, were these words:



December 7


Acquaint now thyself with Him, and be at peace.--JOB xxii. 21.


All thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace
of thy children.--ISA. liv. 13.


Yes! blessed are those holy hours in which the soul retires from the world
to be alone with God. God's voice, as Himself, is everywhere. Within and
without, He speaks to our souls, if we would hear. Only the din of the
world, or the tumult of our own hearts, deafens our inward ear to it.
Learn to commune with Him in stillness, and He, whom thou hast sought in
stillness, will be with thee when thou goest abroad.


E. B. PUSEY.


Plaque on the wall above the
cardinal Christmas tree
As the week of Peace gives way to the week of Joy I wish for each of you, my fellow RtLers, a season of rest and peace.


Of course I went to Handel's Messiah performed by the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus this week. Below is a beautiful rendition of "How Beautiful Are the Feet of Them that Bring the Gospel of Peace." If you would like to listen to it, scroll down to my playlist (named "For Josh") and click on the large middle Pause button to turn off that music. Then click on the Play arrow in the middle of this video to hear a couple of minutes of true beauty and peace.


And may the Peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your heart and mind through Christ Jesus (paraphrased from Philippians 4:7).




2 comments:

  1. Peace, peace, wonderful peace
    Coming down from the Father above,
    Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
    In fathomless billows of love.

    Remember the song? For all lyrics: www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/gospel-songs-chords/pdf/wonderful_peace-chords.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! :)
    What an evening of peace it was for me. One of the most beautiful and thoughtful and meditative I have experienced in quite some time.

    "... He speaks to our souls, if we would hear..." How true.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...