Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Month, Day 21: What Time Is It, Brenda?



Here the two of us are, in the kitchen, just like old times again. It's been another Friday night dinner, and you - knowing that I would not have enough staff -  came in at 3 o'clock this afternoon. You peeled potatoes, helped with the jello salad and the roasted vegetables, tossed the salad and cut up the berries for it. You dished up the soup and assembled the green salads. You arranged pickles on their vintage plate.You made the punch and put cranberries in the water glasses. You boiled the kettle for tea and made pots of coffee all evening long. You heaped food in trays and helped put them in the chafing dishes. You lit the candles. You decorated desserts.


When we had a slow moment here or there, you kept up with dishes. Our other staff member left at 10 when it seemed the guests were going to be here for a while; you stayed to keep me company and to continue cleaning.


When the dining room was empty, you lugged tables and chairs around and we got everything set up for Saturday morning. You drove me over to the house I'm keeping an eye on so I wouldn't have to go into it alone at night. 


There are no words to tell you how deeply grateful to you I am, and how deeply grateful to God I am, that you were the person who started this place with us back in 2003. Remember the evening back in 2002 we had dinner at Georgiana's in Kensington and talked about our dreams for the little TH? Georgiana's is gone, but we're still here ... If it hadn't been for you none of this would have been possible. 


Apart from my immediate family, you are my greatest supporter and ally at the TH. Thank you for all your love and kindness showered on me these past eight years. Thank you for your sense of humour and your loyalty. Thank you for your amazing work ethic. Thank you for caring about how things look and taste and for knowing how things need to be done around here.


In case you don't know, it's 11:46 and you've just dropped me back home. You're still smiling and waving and you're going to come by for butter chicken curry and rice tomorrow!


All I can say is, it's a good thing you're retired: I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with you as it is!


I adore you. Now get some sleep! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. That's a halo shining! Truly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda is a friend indeed. Another outstanding quality is that she is a good sports fan-interested in sports in general and particularly rugby, tennis and cricket. When she explains the explainable game...cricket, it does make more sense.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...