Wednesday, February 10, 2010



Should I Stay or Should I Go?


Two cousins. One trip. Two decisions. One God.

Brent and Anita both work at the TH and both were keen to go on a short-term missions trip to Nicaragua, leaving today. Both of these grade 12 students love God and want to serve people the best way they know.

They both prayed about it. One was guided to go; the other was led to stay.

Over the past couple of months I have pondered how that works. It's not a matter of willingness: they were both ready to go and were raising money and awareness and had people praying for them. It can't be a matter of skills or mental fortitude: they are both strong, intelligent, compassionate people.

For the one going, it would have been easier to step back and let others do it. For the one staying, it would have been a natural extension of the gift of helps that is already being developed so pronouncedly.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just that God has different jobs for them at this point in their lives. It shows me that both staying and going are important to God. In addition to that, He's making each of them stretch in ways that they might not have anticipated: one is reaching far outward and one has had to reach deeply inward. The lessons that they will learn from stepping out of their comfort zones!

The thing is that because both of them have acquiesced to God's custom-designed plans for them, both of them will be and are being equally blessed by Him. I am so excited for them both!

My two amazing kids -- I am very proud of both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...