Sunday, February 7, 2010

"I've Come to do Dishes!"

We had a crazy day at the TH yesterday when in she waltzed: stylish asymmetrical hair, floaty purple dress, extremely hot shoes, all crowned by a flower nestling nonchalantly in the nape of her neck.

"What are you doing here?" I exclaimed.

"I've come to do dishes!" she replied, and grabbed a towel.

"My Little Dawn" -- as I have called her almost since I first met her -- was in the house!

In very little time the dishes were caught up, the kitchen was clean and we had had a chance to chat and catch up. She was down from Edmonton for a wedding, and when it was over she headed over to the TH in all her finery to see what she could do to help out.

Dawn is one of the most important characters in the story of Nilgiris. She came to Three Hills and was ushered in to the TH by her sister and within moments won Brenda's, Andy's and my hearts. She is a hard worker and takes the initiative to look for things to do to make the life of the staff and the guests happier. Coming from Quebec to take grade 12, she was timid and a little self conscious at first; but she graduated through the power of raw intelligence she didn't even believe she had, coupled with sheer determination and courage.

And through that year and the following one, she came into her own. Highly popular with guests, she was also an influence for good on the staff. When she started to realize how many people loved her and appreciated her, she started to let herself believe in herself. 

And then she put herself through school, training to become a first-rate hair stylist.

Everyone has a list of people who have impacted their lives. Dawn sits high on my list. She shows kindness with the lightest of touches. She is consistent and faithful in the smallest tasks and is a loyal friend.

As she was leaving, she said to me, "I can't lie -- I miss this place ..."

I can't lie either, my little Dawn: I miss you too ...

2 comments:

  1. The TeaHouse is a special place always, but always that much more special when Dawn is there. I wish I was free to drive and could have been there yesterday -- I need a haircut!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the nails...can't forget to mention the nails:).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...